Wednesday, July 9, 2014

New York City (Part Three)


On our third and final full day in New York City, we opted to start the day with a world famous restaurant that ordinary travelers and celebrities alike brag about- Serendipity 3.  First of all, I do not recommend you trying to eat here without a reservation, unless you have a limitless amount of time to wait.  The restaurant is not overly large and people wait for hours sometimes (on the street) to get a table.  We had called ahead the night before and got a reservation for when they opened at 11:30.  This restaurant is like Hot Topic meets your grandma or crazy aunt's house.  It has a very eclectic feel with chandeliers and artwork hanging all over the walls and ceilings.  The furniture is a mismatched assortment of patio furniture and dining tables.  My mom and I decided to share an order of their Spudniks (potato skins) and a chicken pot pie.  Unfortunately, the skins were burned and the pot pie was just okay.  Also, some of the workers (particularly the hostess) were a little on the snobby side.  All in all though it was a fun experience to eat at the restaurant where people such as Bill Clinton, Sarah Palin, and the cast of High School Musical had been.  Would I go back again? Probably not, but if I did I REALLY want to try their frozen hot chocolate that makes them so famous (I was too full after lunch).


Just down the street from Serendipity 3 is Dylan's Candy Store (Owned by Ralph Lauren's daughter Dylan) and I had never been so of course we had to stop.  This store is over the top with candy! I mean it has wall to wall baskets and shelves full of candy, the walls and floor are decorated with candy, they have personalized candy, I could go on and on.  I knew going in that the two things I wanted to get were of course a candy bar for the Mr. and a personalized tin of mints for myself.  It is rare that I actually find something with my name on it and my mother-in-law bought me some from Dylan's before so I knew they had Summer!  Surely enough I found it and then we waited in line to check out longer than we were in the store- it's a hotspot for kids in NYC! 


After we got our bellies full and a stash of candy for later, we walked off lunch by heading north towards Central Park.  On the way we actually got stopped by a Latin American heritage parade and it was so neat!  That is one thing that I love about traveling to large cities, you never know what you are going to find and there is always something going on!  I don't think I would ever get bored living in New York!  Once we were finally allowed to cross the street we found ourselves in front of the legendary Plaza Hotel.  Is it possible to go to NYC without a walk through The Plaza?  The outside of the hotel was getting a bit of a facelift, but the inside was just as beautiful as I remembered it being.  One day I will stay at The Plaza... when I win the lottery... and come to terms with spending $900 per night on a hotel room.



After The Plaza, we crossed the street and headed into the most famous toy store in the world FAO Schwarz.  I absolutely love visiting this store and it seems to always be changing.  They have areas of the store that always remain the same, but as popular movies or toy items come out they change areas of the store around to display that merchandise.  I was a little sad to see when we went that they had removed the Harry Potter section of the store... I guess we are the only people who still read the books at least once a year (Mr. P circulates through them regularly).  One thing that never changes though is the Barbie section! The 27 year old little girl in me loves to visit this part of the store and see all the wonderful Barbie things that they add each year.  My mom even indulged her little girl and bought me a vintage inspired Barbie notebook.  Thanks Mom!


No trip to New York is complete without a visit to Central Park.  The solitary oasis of nature in the bustling city has so much to offer.  I have been on a carriage ride once before during the winter months and it was beautiful.  But now the drivers seem to have created a type of union and you cannot seem to find a ride for less than $100.  So we decided to skip that tradition and take a free walk through the park.  My Aunt Pam had been telling us about the Central Park Carousel, which has been a part of the Park since 1871.  Legend states that the original carousel was actually powered by a horse beneath the platform and that it stopped and started based on a tap by the operator on the floor boards of the carousel.  The second and third carousels were destroyed by fire, so in the 1950's they began searching for a vintage carousel as a replacement.  They found an abandoned one on Coney Island that was built in 1908 and it is the carousel that you see today in Central Park, of course it has been through a restoration process and is not operated by a live horse!  For only $3 you can have the ride of your life and I now have a new favorite thing to do in New York City.  





 We were getting a little hungry at this point, so we headed for Rockefeller Center to take a break and grab a snack.  On the way though, we had to stop by the Fox News Headquarters and let my mom see her main man Sean Hannity.  She didn't get to see him in person, but she was happy with a picture in front of his sign!  We headed over to Rockefeller Plaza and took a seat inside watching the people on the ice rink.  Rockefeller Plaza is located very close to another Magnolia Bakery store, so we grabbed a couple of cupcakes to eat while we rested.  Our final stop of the day before dinner was the American Girl Doll store.  I have never been to one, but I can see why little girls love it!  They have everything!  It is 4 floors of girly goodness with almost every doll they have ever made, a cafe, a photo studio, and of course the doll hair salon.  There were hundreds of little girls going wild picking out dolls that looked like them, selecting matching outfits, and they even have strollers and car seats for your little dolls.  Just a warning parents, be careful taking your little ones in this store- they will want everything they see!  Whoops there goes their college fund!




Dinner on our final evening was a no brainer- we wanted Italian, which we had every night we were there!  We decided on Angelo Bellini for its reviews and proximity to our hotel.  It was magical.  It was the best Chicken Alfredo that I have ever had.  We ate until we could not breathe and then waddled ourselves back to the hotel for a good nights rest before heading home the next morning.  We had actually changed hotels earlier that day, because our first hotel only had two nights available, so when we got back to our new room and opened the window we were blown away by our view.  We had not noticed in the daylight, but our room looked out on to the Chrysler Building and at night it was breathtaking!  



Our last morning in the city we had a relaxing breakfast in the Starbucks in our hotel, had the smoothest car service experience to the airport, and boarded our flight home with no major issues. This goes down in the books as one of my favorite vacations!  I had so much fun with my sweet mom, mother-in-law and aunt- I cannot wait for another trip with them! Thanks Ladies!


Check out Part One and Part Two of our NYC trip!

1 comment:

  1. awesome post! i'm excited to head back to NYC in a few weeks :)

    ReplyDelete