Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Updated Shepherd's Pie

I have to start by saying that Shepherd's Pie is one of my favorite recipes.  I have tinkered around with a couple of different versions, but this one is by far my favorite.  It is incredible easy as well and I bet you have a lot of the ingredients on hand already.  I slightly modified the original recipe found here in order to make it work with what I had in my pantry. I don't think the picture does justice to the deliciousness of this recipe.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!


Ingredients

1-1/4 lb. red potatoes (about 4-6), cut into chunks
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 lb. ground beef
2 Tbsp. flour
1 small onion, diced
1/2 cup carrots, parboiled
1/2 cup frozen garden peas, defrosted
3/4 cup beef broth
3 Tbsp. ketchup
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided


Cook potatoes in boiling water in large saucepan until potatoes are tender. Meanwhile, brown meat and onion in large nonstick skillet. Stir in flour; cook 1 min. Add carrots and peas, broth and ketchup; cook 5 min., stirring frequently.
Heat oven to 375°F. Drain potatoes; return to pan. Add sour cream and garlic powder; mash until potatoes are smooth and mixture is well blended. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese.
Spoon meat mixture into square baking dish and cover with potatoes.
Bake 18 minutes Top with remaining cheese and turn on broil until cheese is melted and potatoes are slightly toasted.



1 comment: