Monday, January 16, 2012

Downton Abbey

If you thought Pinterest was an obsession, you haven't seen anything yet!
Let me introduce you to a little semi-well known British drama called... Downton Abbey.
Aka the best television show I have ever seen in my entire life... seriously!


I have to admit, I stumbled upon this greatness through unusual methods... Prince William and Kate Middleton recommended it to me.  Okay, maybe not directly to me, but I read an article last year that they were really into the show.  After much persuasion, Daniel agreed to watch it with me, because we had found the first season on Netflix.  Much to his surprise we LOVED IT!


Well flash forward to January 2012 and we have anxiously been awaiting the second season.  Unfortunately, we were forced to wait much longer than British audience who got to see the show back in September.  I tried to reroute our IP addresses on our computer to make them British IP addresses so I could get the videos online.  I failed.  Nevertheless its here now and we are two episodes into the season and it is absolutely fabulous!

I want you all to watch it.  Its rare that you find a show that has an amazing story line, witty humor, brilliant costuming, and its a historical period piece!  Lets look at some of the reasons why you should tune into PBS Masterpiece Classic on UNC-TV at 9 p.m. on Sundays:



1. The Costumes- The success of a period piece is reliant on many factors, with the costuming being the primary element.  The men and women of Downton not only exude the era with their acting and speech, but their clothing is absolutely fabulous and true to form of the early 1900's. 


2. Lady Mary- Love her or hate her, you have to give it to the woman- she speaks her mind.  I love Mary's seeming obsession for the standards of tradition, yet she assumes a air of independence that is completely out of character for the women of the time.  She knows that she must secure a position for herself in society, but admirably refused to marry for nothing less than true love.  I just wish she would act on her feelings a little more!

3. Professor McGonagall- What? Now I'm pretty sure your all confused and no I am not getting this show confused with Harry Potter.  It just so happens that the two best things in the entertainment world share a common thread- Maggie Smith aka Professor McGonagall aka Dowager Countess of Grantham.

I could go on and on, but I only want you to be intrigued enough to check it out on your own!
I promise you will NOT be disappointed.

4 comments:

  1. I almost watched the first episode on Saturday... how funny. I have a serious crush on Maggie Smith and now that I know she is part of the cast I will have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on episode 5! It is really great, I hope it continues for few series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I Am so glad that your enjoying it! Season two is turning out to be just as good, I just hate having to wait until Sunday nights to watch a new episode!

      Delete