Thursday, January 5, 2012

Mom's Potato Soup

Last night I tried out a new recipe... new to cooking, but not tasting.
My mom's amazing potato soup.  
Its not only amazingly good, but easy as pie!
I hope y'all enjoy it!


what you need

4lbs of potatos, peeled and diced into cubes
water, enough to cover the potatoes
1 small onion, diced
1 can evaporated milk
1 can chicken broth
1 stick of butter
salt to taste

how to make it

Cover diced potatoes with water and add salt to taste.  
Bring to a boil and then let simmer until potatoes are fork tender. 
Ideally, your suppose to cook your diced onion with the potatoes, but I forgot them, so lets skip to the next step.


If you forgot to boil the onion, saute it in canola oil until the onions are soft and transparent.


Once potatoes and onions are finished cooking, combine them together.  
If you have a lot of water left in your pot you may want to pour some of it out.  
I left enough so that my potatoes were almost covered, but not quite. 

Then you need to add the chicken broth, evaporated milk, and butter to the onions and potatoes.  


Bring the contents to a boil and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes until everything is well combined and creamy.


Add your choice of toppings, such as bacon, cheese, or sour cream.  
I like to add a little ranch to my bowl!
Enjoy!


This was absolutely perfect last night for dinner, because with the high temps hanging in the 30's this week it was a bone chilling kind of day.  I have not tried this recipe in the crockpot, but its simple enough that I am sure it would work, you just want to make sure to add enough water so that the potatoes are well cooked.

Before I go, I just want to give a shout out to my father-in-law who's birthday is today!  
Happy Birthday Mr. Rex!!



1 comment:

  1. I can agree it was super yummy! Thanks for inviting me over! :)

    ReplyDelete