Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Disney World (Part One)

There has been a lot of talk about Disney World in the Pennington house lately... there always is.  In August 2011, Daniel and I were able to spend a magnificent week at Disney with his parents and I have been asking to go back almost daily!  I know its such a popular vacation spot for families, so I wanted to share a little about our wonderful week there.  I am not a Disney "expert," but if you have any questions or want some suggestions of places to eat or stay then please leave a comment!


Day One

We started our trip bright and early, hitting the road at 3:30 a.m!  Our plane left at 6:30/7, so we wanted plenty of time to get to the airport, park, and find a little breakfast.  I know this is silly, but nothing makes me feel more alive and excited that going to an airport!  I mean the possibilities are endless at an airport and its so thrilling to head out for a new adventure.  This was my first full vacation to Disney so I was pumped.  We hit the parks for a day and a half when I went on a field trip in 8th grade, but you can't do Disney in a day and a half!


We arrived in Orlando shortly before 10 am and hopped on the Disney Magical Express.  Guys, this is the only way to do the Disney experience!  You feel so taken care of immediately and its so wonderful, because your transportation to the hotel is pre-arranged and they take care of your baggage as well.  We were checking in to Disney's All Star Movies Resort by 10:30 and ready to hit the parks soon after!  I wasn't sure of the schedule for the day, but Mr. Rex and Mrs. Jan told me they wanted to start out at the park they thought I would love--- The Magic Kingdom!!  It's best place to start for a princess!

We're Here!

The day was absolutely wonderful.  We had lunch at Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe, watched the parade, and rode the Buzz Light-year ride.  It was nice to walk slowly through the park and take our time. Later in the afternoon we visited the Hall of Presidents, rode the Haunted Mansion ride, and had a character dining experience at the Crystal Palace.



Once we arrived back at the hotel, I had the lovely ordeal of handling the situation known as "the damaged luggage affair."  We received a call over lunch saying that my luggage and my mother-in-law's had been damaged at the airport.  Who knew that would mean I would have to say goodbye to my beautiful pink luggage.  I loved that luggage... it travelled to Europe and back with me, so disappointment doesn't even cover it!  Also, my favorite hot air curling iron was destroyed.  The lovely people at Southwest agreed to replace my luggage though and reimbursed me for my curling iron.    

Day Two

Day two was an adventure at Hollywood Studios!  What fun!  Daniel's parents had given us a wedding gift basket the night before at the hotel and so we rocked our bride and groom ears for the day.  Hollywood Studios is such a neat park, because this is the place to see all the movies that you never think about being "Disney."  Day two also happened to coincide with the celebration of the 23rd year of life for one Mr. Daniel Pennington.  We celebrated hard by riding rides, eating lots of food, and goofing off the whole day!  The Honey, I Shrunk The Kids playground was awesome!


The birthday boy chose Pizza Planet for lunch that day and it was just as exciting at Buzz and Woody promised it would be!  Okay, it wasn't quite as cool as the movie made it out to be, but the food was really good.  The Cars and Beauty and the Beast show rounded out our evening.  They are both great shows to see and I highly recommend getting to each show early, because the seats fill up fast.  If you have ever been to Disney, then you know that getting a place to sit, in the shade is a rarity so take advantage of it when you can.  


For dinner we had probably what I would consider to be the best meal of the trip.  Minus the fact that we had to wait an hour plus (past our reservation time), Mamma Melrose is the place to be in Hollywood Studios.  The food was incredible and I will go back there ever time, hands down my favorite!  I had a pasta dish (no surprises there) and homemade pound cake with fresh strawberries and whipped cream for dessert.  They even sang to the birthday boy!!

 


Check out the rest of our vacay in the days to come!  My mother-in-law and father-in-law are headed down to Disney later this week to celebrate 30 years of marriage!!  Super excited for them (but a little jealous, because I want to go)!

No comments:

Post a Comment